Saturday, March 18, 2017

Food Photography?...More Like Torture Pt. 2

   I am back just like I promised with even more food photography notes. This time I am going to focus on lighting and the camera setup since I feel those are two of the more difficult options when it comes to food photography.

   Since I am a high school senior on my way out and have little of my own spending money I've decided to keep things as economical as possible. In order to be able to control your own lighting and because unfortunately for me my house does not have the best natural lighting I am going to need some artificial help.

   One website I used suggested using a Halogen light (the light pictured in this image) which apparently get very hot and cannot be left unattended. Deciding that this seemed a little unsafe for a girl who once accidentally glued her fingers together, I chose a different kind of a setup.






Now I introduce, the soft box. Believe it or not my dad actually owns one of these so it is readily available for my use at home. and free! So thats a plus too.  The easiest way to use a soft box is as a side light for an overhead shot, and lucky for me an overhead shot is what I was planning on doing for my cover image.  Across from the soft box is often a fill card, which also doubles as a white foam board I can buy from the local art supply store.







As seen in the image to the right, the reflector (fill card) is across from the soft box with the food being between the soft ox and reflector. In this particular image the light is not at a side angle, which on other websites I was informed is not the best method for food photography. However, when I begin shooting I'll see which angles work best for me.


Love,
Liz


Mathis, T. (2013, July 29). A Simple Way To Light Your Food. Retrieved March 18, 2017, from https://fstoppers.com/food/simple-way-light-your-food-2695

Food Photography Resources for Food Bloggers • The Wicked Noodle. (n.d.). Retrieved March 18, 2017, from http://www.thewickednoodle.com/food-photography-resources-food-bloggers/


T., Mellissa @ I breathe therefore I'm hungry says, Says, D., Says, S., Says, R. L., Says, D., . . . Says, O. S. (2011, December 31). Home. Retrieved March 18, 2017, from http://taylortakesataste.com/the-15-food-photography-lighting-set-up/


Peters, C., Says, J. C., Says, C. P., Says, G., Says, B., Says, M. J., . . . Says, K. M. (2017, January 12). Food Photography Lighting - Easy Artificial Side Lighting. Retrieved March 18, 2017, from https://foodphotographyblog.com/food-photography-lighting-easy-artificial-side-lighting/













No comments:

Post a Comment